Tomorrow, my baby, my amazing little girly turns ten. I am having an awfully hard time with this. I had a hard time when my first baby turned ten, but for some reason, this one stings just a little more. Hannah Colleen was actually a miracle for me...
I never wanted a little girl (it's ok, she knows this story) because my relationship with my own mother was far from enjoyable, and I was terrified that if I had a daughter, the same bad relationship would happen. The day Dr. Doan told us that she was a girl, I was a wreck. Everyone thought I was crying out of joy, when in reality--I was horrified...what was I going to do with a girl of my own??? For the next few months I tried convincing myself that somehow it would be ok. That maybe the doc was wrong, maybe she misread the ultrasound and this so called "girl" I was having would really be a boy....until she was born and they placed the most perfect girl in my arms. The instant I looked into her eyes, my entire body smiled and I immediately knew it really was going to be ok. Don't get me wrong, I was still terrified I would screw her up somehow (and god knows there's still time, lol), but for the first time since the news of her gender (and every day since her birth), I was genuinely excited for her to be mine.
Hannah Colleen, in your short ten years you have taught me more than I have learned in the 29 years before meeting you. Your smile is contagious, no matter what mood I am in. Your sense of humor increases on a daily basis, just when I think you've said THE funniest thing I've ever heard, you top it the next day!! Watching you with your younger cousins warms my heart--you are the most gentle and caring little girl I know. Your love of animals is unmatched and your patience with almost everything you encounter is humbling. You are polite, respectful, kind, considerate, and loving to everyone you meet. I feel that I am the luckiest mom on earth to call you my daughter, and even luckier that I get to spend every day with you. You teach me and show me things you will never know you do, because of you I am a better person. You have conquered my fear of having a daughter, and I can say that because of you, my faith in mother-daughter relationships has been restored.
Someone shared this article with me earlier, and I was floored at the similarities--I thought this woman (Lindsey Mead Russell) was talking about you!! While I am using her article, I have added one or two of my own thoughts...so Hannah Colleen, here are
3. You should never be afraid to share your passions. You are sometimes embarrassed that you still like to play with Pet Shops, for example, and you worry that your friends will make fun of you. Anyone who teases you for what you love to do is not a true friend. This is hard to realize, but essential.
6. Reading is essential. It is the central leisure-time joy of my life, as you know. I am immensely proud and pleased to see that you seem to share it (occasionally). That identification you feel with characters, that sense of slipping into another world, of getting lost there in the best possible way? Those never go away.
9. There is no single person who can be your everything. Be very careful about bestowing this power on any one person. I suspect you are trying to fill a gnawing loneliness, and if you are you inherited it from me. Trying to fill that ache with other people (or with anything else, like food, alcohol, numbing behaviors of a zillion sorts you don't even know of yet) is a lost cause, and nobody will be up to the task. You will feel let down, and, worse, that loneliness will be there no matter what. I'm learning to embrace it, to accept it as part of who I am. I hope to help you do the same.







0 comments:
Post a Comment