So let me be the first to say, I am a tad squeamish when it comes to loose teeth. I had a horrible experience as a child (imagine my loose tooth tied to the door of a half bathroom the size of a phone booth, myself and two of my older cousins trying to see if the whole "slam the door stunt" really worked--if you've ever seen a phone booth, you'll know that it didn't have a pretty outcome!) which I think is what fuels my weak stomach when it comes to my kids' teeth.
My son began losing his teeth at age four and for the most part, they came out on their own. He would thoroughly enjoy tormenting me though by wiggling his tooth, bending it as far back as he could, showing me the backside of the tooth and sending me screaming--literally, I would try to hide from him to avoid seeing it.
My daughter is a whole different story. She has only lost three so far. The first one came out in an apple, easy. The second one sort of fell out on it's own. The last and most recent was aided. We were visiting my parents a month ago and she and her brother were sharing an air mattress to sleep and he "accidentally" elbowed her in the mouth, making her tooth hang by a millimeter of a thread. She got so frustrated that she ended up just pulling it herself. This was one of her two front top teeth, and now the other one is really ready to come out. Our friends, the Gunters, have a son that is six months older than Hannah and the two are in a quiet race to see who loses the most first. Eric's first front tooth fell out earlier this week and his other front topper was lose. We were over there for dinner tonight when my son threw a soft disc to Eric who ended up catching it with his mouth--and knocking out his tooth (I'm starting to think my son has an uncanny knack for accidentally knocking other children's teeth out...). I have always thought that a child missing their two front teeth has one of the best smiles ever:
This loss gave my daughter a whole new ambition. Her goal was to lose her tooth tonight as well. She spent the better part of an hour trying to pull out her tooth-and making me hide my eyes and squeal like a baby. She had many offers from her uncles to assist, but she wouldn't take them up on it..wonder why?? Aunt Melissa offered to nicely help, and Hannah even let her yank a
couple of times, but no luck...
So, we end today, one less tooth for the Gunter household, one extremely loose tooth for Hannah and more day of being grossed out for me. Keep your fingers crossed that the damn thing comes out tomorrow, I don't know how much more of the, "Momma, watch me twist this tooth, it's SOOOOO loose..." I can actually take without tears in my eyes and running for cover!!!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment